"Alec was excellent. Information was tailored to our needs. We gained so much confidence for our journey from this course"
Our Weather for Sailors course provides you with the meteorological knowledge needed to safely enjoy your time on the water.
The course is 2 days long and held on a weekend. It is led by our highly qualified meteorologist and contains a mixture of lectures and practical exercises throughout the weekend. Our course provides a solid foundation in marine weather, with the opportunity to discuss more advanced topics with our expert as the course progresses.
Our courses are normally held at our venue in central Bath, from 09:30 - 16:30 each day. Bath is a highly attractive World Heritage Site, where course attendees can relax and enjoy the historic city whilst they learn. Bespoke courses can also be arranged for group bookings and these can be held at your own site if preferred. The price of our weekend course is £495 per person and includes course notes, exercises, certificate of course completion, lunch and refreshments.
The topics we cover during the weekend include:
- Wind effects on wave conditions
- Beaufort scale and weather observations
- Sea breeze and local winds
- Global atmospheric circulation
- Cloud types and their formation
- Tropical weather, cyclones
- Low and high pressure systems
- Fronts, air masses and associated weather
- Visibility, precipitation and fog
- Thunderstorms and squalls
- Weather chart interpretation
- Satellite imagery and radar
- Shipping forecast
- Sources of weather information
"Presentation and explanations were very thorough and high standard. Alec is a good teacher and explains concepts well...would definitely recommend the course to others"
Marine Meteorology - Custom
Fully customisable course exclusive to you and your group. Pick the desired topics from our marine course (you can also add your own specialisms or emphasis) then contact us for a quote. Courses can be 1-3 days, depending on the topics selected, and can be held at our venue in Bath, or at a location of your choice.